400 years of music in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Apocalypse
1. Mille Anni
2. Canto Della Sibilla
3. L'acqua Mi Giunge Fino Alla Gola
4. Audivi Vocem
5. Ergo Agnus Veri
6. C'e Un Tempo Per Nascere E Un Tempo Per Morire
7. Propositum Quidem Negocii
8. Sederunt Principes
9. E Venuto Il Tempo Di Distruggere Coloro Che Distruggono La Terra
10. Mundus a Munditia
11. Stetit Angelus
12. Quando Suono La Prima Tromba - Homo Luge! Homo Miserabilis - Brumas E Mors
13. The Angel Swung His Sickle
14. Signum Magnum
15. Clama, Ne Cesses, Syon Filia - Alleluia
16. Ypocrite Pseudopontifices - Velut Stelle
17. Rex Tremendae - In Perhenni - Un Nuovo Cielo, Una Nuova Terra
18. Chi Mi Dara Ali Come Di Colomba
19. O Gloriosissimi, Lux Vivens, Angeli
20. Non Avranno Piu Fame
1. Ave Regina - Mater Innocencie
2. Ave Gloriosa, Mater Salvatoris
3. Officium Annuntiationis Sancte Marie
4. Verbum Bonum Et Suave
5. Officium Quod Fit in Nocte Natalis Domini
6. Officium in Die Purificationis
7. Lamentum Beatae Mariae Virginis
8. O Lilium Convallium
CD - 2 discs
Usually despatched in 2 - 3 working days.
The book of Revelations has long been one of the most discussed parts of the Bible. The notion of the Apocalypse has been constantly reinterpreted with the passing of time, and the premise of this disc is to explore the struggle between good and evil.
Each of the Gregorian chants is based on a text of the Apocalypse, following the order of the chapters of Revelation, and there is a recurring theme of contrast throughout. The ideas of light, joy and warmth are opposed with those of darkness, devastation and pain; the heartfelt ‘Rex tremende’ is contrasted with the violent rhythms of the dramatic ‘Ypocryte pseudopontifices’, the climax of the set. The texts of the Apocalypse are followed by music in honour of the Virgin Mary, the beautiful melodies of which create a completely different atmosphere of reverence and praise.
This collection offers a powerful narrative to the listener, with the impact of both words and music combining to create an intensely thought-provoking and introspective recording.
Performing the works is acclaimed vocal ensemble Nova Cantica.
Rarely recorded repertoire.
Booklet notes by musical director Maria Silvia Roveri.